DMM Conference Travel Grants are aimed at early career scientists wanting to attend scientific meetings, conferences, workshops and courses relating to the areas of research covered by the journal. Each application will be judged on the excellence of the candidate and any work being presented in a talk or poster.
Applicants will usually be PhD students and post-doctoral researchers at the beginning of their research careers, using the funding to support their travel.
We also welcome applications from independent group leaders and PIs with no independent funding, seeking support to attend meetings, conferences, workshops, courses, PI laboratory management courses and courses to re-train.
Please review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) before completing and submitting your application.
Note: We are unable to pay awards to recipients in jurisdictions, countries or regions of the world subject to sanctions, embargoes or other political trade restrictions put in place by the United Nations, the EU or the UK.
Guidelines for application:
- Maximum funding is set at £400 within the home country and at £600 for meetings overseas.
- The amount given depends on demand and may provide only a portion of the requested funding.
- Applicants who are presenting talks or displaying posters may be looked on more favourably than those who are not.
- DMM does not fund applications made retrospectively, so please submit your application in good time.
- DMM reserves the right to reject applications to attend conferences or workshops that it considers to be possibly 'predatory' in design.
- The date of travel must occur within six months of funding being awarded.
- Applicants should not have received other funding from The Company of Biologists in the past 12 months.
- Funding of multiple applications from the same lab or department will be limited.
Deadline dates for applications:
28 February 2017 (for travel after 10 April 2017)
31 May 2017 (for travel after 10 July 2017)
31 August 2017 (for travel after 16 October 2017)
30 November 2017 (for travel after 12 January 2018)
Please submit your application in plenty of time as it can take up to six weeks after the deadline date to reach a decision .
Please complete this application form.
Guidelines for completing the application form:
- The application form and all supporting documents must be completed in English.
- If possible, please put your application and documents into one single PDF file.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the criteria required for a Travel Grant.
- Incomplete applications will be returned.
- Expenses include travel, subsistence, accommodation, and visa fees. Travel insurance costs are not to be included in the expenses.
Please attach the following documents to your application (note: all letters of support must be in English, on headed paper and signed).
- For PhD students and post-doctoral researchers: a supporting letter from your supervisor confirming your status.
- For independent group leaders and PIs: a supporting letter from your Head of Department confirming that no independent funding is available to attend meetings and courses.
- A short justification for your proposal outlining why you should be awarded the grant.
- A copy of any abstract submitted to the meeting or conference for which funding is requested.
- Curriculum Vitae.
Terms and conditions for successful applicants:
- Support from DMM and The Company of Biologists must be acknowledged in any presentations given or posters displayed at the meeting or course.
- Grant recipients must acknowledge receipt of the payment (you must email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm that you have received your payment).
- Any unspent funds must be returned within one month of the end of the travel.
- If for any reason you do not attend the conference, workshop or course, please email email@example.com. Please also arrange for the Travel Grant funds to be returned, in full.
- You must keep all of the receipts related to your visit and send to the Charity Administrator within one month of completion of your visit. Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send originals to Charity Administrator, The Company of Biologists, Bidder Building, Station Road, Histon, Cambridge, CB24 9LF, UK.
- You may be asked to write a short meeting report or testimonial for the journal or company website.