Table of Contents
- From bench to patient: model systems in drug discovery
Drug Discovery Collection: This Editorial introduces the new DMM Special Collection entitled ‘From bench to patient: model systems in drug discovery’, providing a summary of its contents and highlighting the impact of multiple model systems in moving new discoveries from bench to patient.
- Improving translational studies: lessons from rare neuromuscular diseases
Drug Discovery Collection: This Editorial reviews problems and some solutions to the translational use of animal models in the rare neuromuscular diseases context. This can serve as a model for other disease fields.
A MODEL FOR LIFE
- GEMMs as preclinical models for testing pancreatic cancer therapies
Drug Discovery Collection: This Review discusses GEMMs of human pancreatic cancer, particularly focusing on the KPC model, its use in preclinical research, advantages and disadvantages, and its potential for predicting clinical outcomes.
- A rapid in vivo screen for pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma therapeutics
Editor's choice - Drug Discovery Collection: The study describes a rapid in vivo screen for novel strategies to treat pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDA).
- Treatment with a novel oleic-acid–dihydroxyamphetamine conjugation ameliorates non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in obese Zucker rats
Drug Discovery Collection: OLHHA is a safe drug with hepatoprotective and anti-steatotic effects on non-alcoholic fatty liver disease in obese rats.
- Precision-cut kidney slices (PCKS) to study development of renal fibrosis and efficacy of drug targeting ex vivo
Drug Discovery Collection: TGFβ induces renal fibrosis in ex vivo cultured precision-cut kidney slices, which can be attenuated by IFNγ.
- A calixpyrrole derivative acts as an antagonist to GPER, a G-protein coupled receptor: mechanisms and models
Drug Discovery Collection: This paper highlights mechanisms through which a calixpyrrole derivative acts as a newly identified selective antagonist of GPER in different model systems.
- Glycolytic inhibitor 2-deoxyglucose simultaneously targets cancer and endothelial cells to suppress neuroblastoma growth in mice
Drug Discovery Collection: Neuroblastomas are sensitive to treatment with the glycolytic inhibitor 2-deoxyglucose, which can simultaneously target cancer and endothelial cells to suppress tumor growth.
- From drug response profiling to target addiction scoring in cancer cell models
Drug Discovery Collection: The authors take a pan-cancer approach that provides functional insights into molecular vulnerabilities across various cancer subtypes and patient-specific target addiction patterns that could lead to actionable treatment strategies.
- Impaired APP activity and altered Tau splicing in embryonic stem cell-derived astrocytes obtained from an APPsw transgenic minipig
Summary: Insight into astrocyte and radial glia pathology in an in vitro culture system derived from the APPsw pig.
- Interplay among Drosophila transcription factors Ets21c, Fos and Ftz-F1 drives JNK-mediated tumor malignancy
Summary: This study provides genetic evidence that malignancy driven by oncogenic Ras and loss of polarity requires transcription factors of three distinct protein families, acting in synergy downstream of JNK signaling.
- OTX2 exhibits cell-context-dependent effects on cellular and molecular properties of human embryonic neural precursors and medulloblastoma cells
Summary: Human embryonic stem cell neural derivatives can be used to model the molecular and cellular properties of medulloblastoma.
- Albumin stimulates renal tubular inflammation through an HSP70-TLR4 axis in mice with early diabetic nephropathy
Summary: Activation of the HSP70-TLR4 axis by albumin in the tubular cell induces tubular inflammation and injury.
- Transient alteration of the vestibular calyceal junction and synapse in response to chronic ototoxic insult in rats
Summary: New forms of damage and repair have been identified in the vestibular sensory epithelium using a rat model of chronic ototoxicity and recovery that causes reversible vestibular dysfunction.