Subject collection: Plant Development
- The never-ending story: from pluripotency to plant developmental plasticity
Summary: This Review discusses how pluripotency is established in plant stem cell systems, how it is maintained during development and growth, and how it is re-initiated during regeneration.
- Building a plant: cell fate specification in the early Arabidopsis embryo
Summary: This Review summarises our current understanding of the early stages of plant embryogenesis, with a focus on how the major lineages are specified.
- Plant germline formation: common concepts and developmental flexibility in sexual and asexual reproduction
Summary: New insights into the genetic basis and molecular mechanisms underlying plant germline development in sexual and asexual species are discussed.
- Phyllotaxis involves auxin drainage through leaf primordia
Highlighted article: Leaf positioning follows a stereotyped pattern controlled by auxin distribution. Auxin drainage via the incipient midvein of leaf primordia contributes to this patterning.
- Primary root protophloem differentiation requires balanced phosphatidylinositol-4,5-biphosphate levels and systemically affects root branching
HIGHLIGHTED ARTICLE: Protophloem differentiation in the Arabidopsisroot meristem requires locally balanced phosphoinositide levels, the disturbance of which impairs protophloem development and re-shapes root architecture.
- Plant stem cell maintenance by transcriptional cross-regulation of related receptor kinases
Highlighted article: Transcriptional cross regulation between CLAVATA1 family receptor kinases operates in the stem cell niche, thereby explaining the apparent genetic redundancy amongst these receptor kinases.
- Auxin-induced degradation dynamics set the pace for lateral root development
Highlighted article: Degradation dynamics of the auxin-responsive inhibitor IAA14 act as a tunable timer, controlling both the density and timing of lateral root emergence in Arabidopsis.
- Plant embryogenesis requires AUX/LAX-mediated auxin influx
Highlighted article: Auxin-dependent cell specification during plant embryo development requires balanced and regulated auxin transport involving both influx and efflux machineries.