Subject collection: Mitochondria
- Reducing Lissencephaly-1 levels augments mitochondrial transport and has a protective effect in adult Drosophila neurons
Summary: Novel imaging procedures in the adult Drosophila wing reveal that Lissencephaly-1 restrains mitochondrial motion and that reducing levels of this protein protects against an age-related decline in protein homeostasis.
- LPS impairs oxygen utilization in epithelia by triggering degradation of the mitochondrial enzyme Alcat1
Highlighted Article: This study provides new insight into how endotoxin triggers depletion of a key mitochondrial enzyme, Alcat1, by activating an SCF ubiquitin E3 ligase complex that contains Fbxo28.
- Myo19 is an outer mitochondrial membrane motor and effector of starvation-induced filopodia
Summary: Myo19 is an effector of starvation-induced filopodia formation and is directly anchored to the outer mitochondrial membrane.
- Appoptosin interacts with mitochondrial outer-membrane fusion proteins and regulates mitochondrial morphology
Summary: Overexpression of the pro-apoptotic protein appoptosin impairs interaction of the mitochondrial fusion proteins MFN1 and MFN2, and reduces mitochondrial fusion activity, leading to mitochondrial fragmentation.
- Cooperative and independent roles of the Drp1 adaptors Mff, MiD49 and MiD51 in mitochondrial fission
Highlighted Article: MiD51 and Mff coordinate and regulate the action of Drp1 at the mitochondrial outer membrane during homeostatic mitochondrial fission, as assessed with gene-editing technology.
- CCN6 regulates mitochondrial function
Summary: CCN6, or Wnt-induced signaling protein 3 (WISP3), regulates mitochondrial electron transport and ATP synthesis. The influence of CCN6 on mitochondrial function might impact cell growth and differentiation.
- The N-terminus of survivin is a mitochondrial-targeting sequence and Src regulator
Summary: The proline-rich N-terminal ten amino acids of survivin is a mitochondrial-targeting domain and a regulator of the proto-oncogene Src. Hence, survivin could act in concert with Src to promote tumorigenesis.